Wynton Marsalis’s 12 Tips for Effective Practice
from Tackling the Monster – Marsalis on Practicing
1. Seek out private instruction.
2. Write out a schedule to practice fundamentals.
3. Set goals to chart development.
4. Concentrate when practicing.
5. Relax and practice slowly.
6. Practice longer on things you can’t play.
7. Play everything as if you were singing – always play musically. Try your best all the time. Participate – even when alone.
8. Don’t be too hard on yourself! Mistakes happen – it’s not the end of the world. Learn from your mistakes and keep going!
9. Don’t show off. No one likes that.
10. Think for yourself! Be a problem-solver. You may come up with a better way to practice or play something that works better for you…but don’t dismiss your teacher’s methods and suggestions.
11. Be optimistic.
12. Look for connections to other things. Everything is related.